Re: does a table always need a PK?

From: Tony Douglas <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net>
Date: 2 Sep 2003 07:09:01 -0700

"Paul Vernon" <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm> wrote in message news:<bj0d5h$1fbc$2_at_gazette.almaden.ibm.com>...

> I'm sure that some math/thoery could be/has been built that takes into account
> parameters such as MTBF and other 'risk factors', combined with requested security
> margins (1 in X chance of loosing 1 bit of data) so that some rigour can be added to
> stuff like backup policies.

Indeed, but that's not quite the angle I was approaching this from; I was thinking more of, how could you write an expression of the lambda calculus (however sugared) that could derive a worthwhile specification in a suitably formal style of what backups (and other such things) mean; I doubt that you can, although I'd love to be proved wrong !

  • Tony