Re: Is mysql a RDBMS ?

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_pandora.be>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:44:14 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:

> Your petulant demands for a "real world application" involving duplicates
> are nothing but the worst kind of sophistry. You demand something from me
> that you have the burden to prove. [...]

With all respect, but I don't agree. It is you who claims that there is a deep and practically very relevant difference between what you call SQL-DBMSs and RDBMSs, and in fact you claim that the difference is so large that the sloppy usage of the two terms should be fought aggressively. Just like the burden of proof for the claim by Heikki that the relational model is too vague lies with him, the burden of proof for this claim lies with you.

Now, as far as Heikki's sophistry is concerned, the type of sophistry that he uses is also know to some of us as the scientific method, where hypotheses only become theories once they have been empirically tested. IMO your claim is at best a well-argued hypothesis, but has it been empirically verified? Lauri's example is anecdotal, at best, and as I have already argued earlier, there is a relatively simple isomorphism between optimization problems in the bag-model and those in the relational model plus some minimal arithmetic. That makes it very unlikely that the complexity of the two problems differs very much.

  • Jan Hidders