Dropping ACID - was Re: does a table always need a PK?

From: Jonathan Leffler <jleffler_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 22:09:12 GMT

Christopher Browne wrote:

> Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote:

>>BTW, does anybody knows if Date and Darwen are considering to drop
>>transactions in the next revision?

> Drop them? Or "drop them into the book"; they only made limited
> comment about them in the last revision. (Which doesn't imply that
> transactions are irrelevant, just that they weren't relevant to the
> points they were trying to make about relational databases.)

Drop them is the question - see the comments in Date's 8th Edition (Section 16.10 - Dropping ACID).

I don't know is my answer - but maybe. Of course, the replacement is the 'multiple assignment' operation (including multiple insert or delete or update operations), and it has a number of attractions. I would certainly love to have that available. I'm not sure how much you need transactions if you have 'multiple assignment'; nevertheless, at the moment, I think I still like the idea of nested transactions. I need to re-reread the material cited.

Email: jleffler_at_earthlink.net, jleffler_at_us.ibm.com