Re: dynamic database concept

From: Karel Miklav <karel_at_inetis.spppambait.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:39:48 +0200

--CELKO-- wrote:
> But look at how many new SQL programmers use IDENTITY, GUID, ROWID, or
> other auto-numbering vendor extensions to get a key that can be used
> for locating a given row -- they are imitating a magnetic tape's
> sequential access. It lets them know the order in which a row was
> added to the table -- just like individual records went onto the end
> of the tape!

...true, but you're making an impression like identity and order is one and the same thing and like current database technology is implemented in a way you don't need to locate records. I'd say db users should be learned to think in terms of sets, not in terms of phobias against or for key usage.

Be well,
Karel Miklav Received on Mon Jul 14 2003 - 11:39:48 CEST

Original text of this message