Trigger Unlimited Recursion Error

From: Damjan <ListGroup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Jun 2003 09:47:50 -0700

Hi All.

I use ASA. But I do not think that my problem is sybase related.

I have table A and table B.
On each table I have a trigger that on insert and update inserts or updates data into the other table.

(this is because I am trying to replace an old system, but not fully:)... basically don't ask)

So what happens is that I get unlimited recursion, because after insert into A, A's trigger gets called, which calls insert into B which fires B's trigger, which calls insert into A, which fires A's trigger which calls insert into..... disaster!

Does anyone know of easy/smart/dumb/any way to solve this problem. Is there a way to pass officially information between triggers. Is there a way to ask why the trigger is called. I think not...

What I do now is I introduced another into field into both tables which noone uses but my triggers. So I use it to comunicate... That sucks.

Thanks in advance,

Damjan

PS I searched a lot of newsgroups, but found nothing on this topic Received on Wed Jun 25 2003 - 18:47:50 CEST

Original text of this message