Re: What is a "code table"?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 22:22:06 -0400

Bob wrote:
> I've seen this term used many times, but never defined. Any searches for a
> definition only finds use of the term in passing.
>
> Do "code tables" contain actual uncompiled programming code , or other SQL?
> Is this good design? How do you change control if the guts of an
> application can be so easily changed? Any examples?
>
> Bob

        I don't know if my usage of the term is common, but I use it to describe tables where each row consists of two columns, one containing a coded value and the other containing the description. For example a table of postal codes and the name of the post offices they represent.

        Code tables are often used in conjunction with drop down lists in order to limit data entry to valid values. Received on Sat Jun 14 2003 - 04:22:06 CEST

Original text of this message