Re: Transactions: good or bad?

From: Joe \ <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:39:37 -0700

"Todd Bandrowsky" <anakin_at_unitedsoftworks.com> wrote in message <news:af3d9224.0306120356.7e079748_at_posting.google.com>...

> > Yep, and related to logical assertions, there are like tons of problems
> > that are provably undecidable, impossible, NP-complete or otherwise
> > infeasible.
>
> If they are provably undecidable, then, how do people decide them? I
> mean, travelling salesman is NP complete but we still have algorithms
> that express a "best shot".

And they work by "guessing", just like human beings do. After all, people aren't any better than computers at deciding the Halting Problem for all possible cases. Instead, they take their "best shot" at a much easier problem, the User's Patience Problem. =)

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  DC8s in Spaace: <http://www.xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to