Re: What is this model technique called

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:58:19 +0100

In message <c0d87ec0.0306100853.51d7d13d_at_posting.google.com>, --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com> writes
>>> Library systems assign attributes (classes) to books. Sometimes a
>book arrives that doesn't fit in any existing class so the librarian
>has to create a new one. The new class then gets communicated to every
>other librarian. <<
>
>Bad example. We have the Dewey Decimal Classification and Library of
>Congress systems in libraries today because they needed to stop doing
>that. If a librarian has a question about the code for a book, they
>go to the LOC card on the website and use what is there -- a single
>trusted source for the information, as opposed to creation on the fly.

If there isn't an existing classification there isn't any way to look it up. That's when they need to create a new class, and that will eventually find its way back to the LOC and every other library.

--
Bernard Peek
bap_at_shrdlu.com

In search of cognoscenti