Re: HOWTO: company & client addresses 1 or 2 tables?

From: Barry <barryw_at_databaseanswers.com>
Date: 9 Jun 2003 15:30:13 -0700

"Niels van der Kam" <n.a.van.der.kam_at_home.nl> wrote in message news:<bc2j6t$ttg$1_at_news2.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>...
> Or should I make two tables one for company addresses and one for client
> addresses?
> Are there rules for this kind of situations?
I guess the rule would say 'Identify the Things that occur naturally and model them accordingly'.
In this case, the Things are Addresses and so you should have just one Address Entity with a foreign address_id key in the company and client tables.
Here's an example on my Database Answers web site of a Data Model for Traffic Cops showing Violaters who have Addresses, (just like Cops).

Barry Williams
Principal Consultant
Database Answers Received on Tue Jun 10 2003 - 00:30:13 CEST

Original text of this message