Re: DATABASE QUESTION ! ! ! ! ! !

From: joe buhl <joseph.buhl_at_vspan.com>
Date: 5 Jun 2003 11:54:43 -0700

I'll also mention that you'll find very few resources for
> Sybase as compared to the others, in terms of books, websites,
> newsgroups, etc. If you like getting questions answered through
> the web and books, you may have trouble with Sybase.

Not so. We are a Sybase Shop and our support is better than when I worked with Orable. They have also won recent awards for there customer service:

http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1019259,00.html http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1020918,00.html

Our support agreement is 24x7 and I always get someone on the phone wether they are USA or Asia pacific. There replication server support is excellent.

Given there is not the 3rd party book jungle as that of Oracle but thats a good thing. Sybase documentation is pretty good out of the box. There have been new 3rd party books released in the last year as well.

The Sybase newsgroups are active and there is a small group of hard core Sybase professionals who post to these sites on a regular basis.

They also provide training via the web now. Instructor is on the phone while you watch a presentation over your browser.

Sybase has it's fair share of problems just as any comercial RDBMS. Poor marketing being the most obvious. But their support stacks up well against anyone in the business.

People have been saying Sybase is dead for years but over the last few quarters there stock has outperformed Oracle. Go to a finincial site and you find out that sybase is a very heatlhy tech company. Not big,  but financially healthy.

There Sybase Techwave in August is also good training and a great party.

Joe Buhl Received on Thu Jun 05 2003 - 20:54:43 CEST

Original text of this message