Re: Database design - Please comment my thoughts

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <lgcdutra_at_terra.com.br>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 16:06:23 +0200

On Mon, 26 May 2003 20:29:48 +0200, vincent wrote:

> I'm studying a banking activity before building a datamart.

        As Fabian Pascal says, giving advice on specific designs by email is mostly useless, because you would need to write such a big, detailed document on your organisational rules, this document would be confidential and you wouldn't be allowed to show it to an outsider... and you probably have not allowance to hire a proper designer anyway.

> I have one fact table (trading transactions) linked to a hierarchy dimension
> (geography). This dimension is 6 table deep,

        Again on Fabian Pascal, check his chapter on hierarchies. Having arbitrary limits on the hierarchy depth shows you have a bad design anyway.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra