SQL/MSDE query

From: Paul Burns <Paul_Burns_at_btopenworld.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 22:44:45 +0000 (UTC)

Hi All,

Our software currently uses a flat file 'database' to store user defined data. While this has served us well, the time has come to update it and this has led us to consider purchasing off-the-shelf database software such as SQL server and MSDE.

The application we develop will need to read and write millions of data items from and to base tables very fast. If possible, the new method should improve on the current flat file performance. Is this realistic?

In addition with this level of IO activity will their be a need to 'compact' the data regularly? If so, how regularly? Do tools for 'compacting' MSDE databases exist? I guess they are included in SQL Server?

I would be interested to hear your views on the above and whether you feel a relational database is the right way forward. If not would something else be more appropriate?

I would greatly appreciate your comments.

Regards,
Paul Received on Fri May 30 2003 - 00:44:45 CEST

Original text of this message