Re: Relational calculus vs. algebra calculus

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 May 2003 19:48:59 -0700

> would anyone please explain me what is the difference between
> relational calculus and relational algebra (if any)?
> Are they two different things or are the same?

They both allow the same thing. Relational algebra describes the desired operation at a lower level possibly in terms of intersection, union and negations operations. Relational calculus describes the desired operation at a higher level possibly in terms of user-friendly notation. See chapter 7 of 'Database Systems' 6th Ed. by C. J. Date. Received on Thu May 29 2003 - 04:48:59 CEST

Original text of this message