Software Patents (was: Object databases beat joins (was: Re: ODMG Website?))

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: 18 May 2003 08:29:55 -0700

"Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message news:<eIzxa.872951$3D1.497624_at_sccrnsc01>...
> "Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message news:e4330f45.0305171427.39d0f9f0_at_posting.google.com...
> >
> > Indexes are not necessary in RDBMSs, in fact we can achieve better
> > performance with less resource consumption without using indexes.
>
> Can you explain what you're referring to? Is this the Required Tech
> patent, or something else?

Yes it is. It is an impressive advance in storage technology. Although I am not very aware about the US software patent implications. I think I can use it at my own discretion if I don't sell my products in US, Japan, Jordan and perhaps now Irak }:), but I don't know what is the exact country list. Is Canada in the list?

I think software patents are evil. I hope Europe will continue staying away of them.

Does anyone know what are the procedures if you want to use a patented algorithm in the US?

> I'm interested in learning about alternatives
> to indexes.

It worths a while.

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Sun May 18 2003 - 17:29:55 CEST

Original text of this message