Naming Convention

From: Russell Kahler <russell_at_oncontact.com>
Date: 16 May 2003 11:00:08 -0700

I am tring to setup rules for a new appliation's database model. I plan to follow ISO 11179-5, but I have one issue. What to do about single word columns and preventing them from ever being keywords. From what I see most standard just say don't use keywords but how do you forsee what will be a key word in a future engine release?

Since our product supports multiple database engines, how can I possibly know what any of them would do as far as future keywords?

Are there any standards for getting around this?

I don't want to use a prefix since that effects the alpha sorting of columns, I have considered a suffix but should I try to use a suffix that is an application identifier or an column specific?

If I use a column specific identifier, do I need to use it on all columns?

Russ.. Received on Fri May 16 2003 - 20:00:08 CEST

Original text of this message