Re: Transactions: good or bad?

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:05:52 +0100

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:P21wa.367$xF5.71850115_at_mantis.golden.net...
> "Paul Vernon" <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm> wrote in message
> > I allow no rollbacks in my model (short of system failures)
>
> Is deadlock a system failure?

No. In my scheme locks are just plain old relational data. Clients would have to poll to wait for a change in a lock value so making deadlocks a client issue!!
However, I am toying with the idea of some generalised 'wait until condition' ability, that would allow clients to wait on other's locks as well as any other database condition. As part of such an ability, the DBMS might be able to provide a 'deadwait' detection system between seperate clients. I'm waiting on something only you can change, you're waiting on something that only I can change. Or rather it might be better to have a constraint on 'wait until conditions' that prevents the acceptence of any deadlocked waits requests in the first place.

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Tue May 13 2003 - 11:05:52 CEST

Original text of this message