Re: Do Data Models Need to built on a Mathematical Concept?

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 May 2003 12:28:11 -0700

>>>You need to learn is that a graph is equivalent to a binary relation,

>> A graph is not equivalent to a binary relation.
>> A graph is composed of binary relations.

> ...non-sense..

It depends on your definition of a graph vs my definition of a binary relation. I define a binary relation as any two things that have something in common.

According to http://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/eng/ch2en/meth2en/ch2m1en.html A graph is a symbolic representation of a network.

If you say that a graph can consist of as few as 2 nodes and one must be able to go from one to the other AND vise versa, then they are the same and you are correct.

What is your definition of a graph?

> you consider any two pair of objects connected by a pointer
> or 2 pointers for that matter as a "relation".

I consider any two things/objects/entities/records "connected" by pointers/ids/etc to be an implementation of a binary relation. Do you agree or disagree? Received on Sat May 03 2003 - 21:28:11 CEST

Original text of this message