Re: Do Data Models Need to built on a Mathematical Concept?

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2 May 2003 14:53:02 -0700

> > > Do Data Models Need to built on a Mathematical Concept?
> > What is the difference between a mathematical concept
> > and non-mathematical concept?
>
> One of them will be well-defined, understood, and can be communicated.
> The other is what's always found in the real world, within people's heads.

What constitutes well-defined? Is there a sharp-cut off where somethings are well defined and others not? Who or what is defining the cut off?

What constitutes understood? Is there a sharp-cut off where somethings are understood and other not? Who or what defines when something is understood.

What can or cannot be communicated? By whose standards.

My point is that I still do not know what is or is not a mathemathical concept. Maybe something is a mathematical concept if it SEEMS to produce the correct answers for the application at hand.

> Practically, the non-mathematical is the more important.

Likewise, I think it is irrelevent if something is or is not a mathematical concept. What matter most is whether a model, which utimately is of our own making, allow us to produce results that are acceptable to our application. Why use Quantum, if Newton's answer is close enough when considering a baseballs trajectory. Received on Fri May 02 2003 - 23:53:02 CEST

Original text of this message