Re: Back up options

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:40:20 +0100

In message <b04c1374.0304111318.33401de4_at_posting.google.com>, chris <xnuus_at_hotmail.com> writes

>> You don't mention whether high availability is a priority. Is the
>> priority to avoid losing data or to keep the database system running?
>> Those aren't necessarily the same thing.
>

>Thanks Bernard, the priority is to avoid losing data, we can go down
>for as long as we want :) but just as long as we return with what we
>went down with. Okay we can do nightly backups quite simply but It
>would be a diaster if we actually lost data from the previous backup
>to the time when the hardware failed. Its a really tough one because
>there wont be an awful lot of data but Its important data. I guess
>using the second database elsewhere is the best route to take but Im
>trying to do this as cheap and simple as possible.

OK. It's quite possible that MySQL will do the job. I know that transactions are a relatively new addition to MySQL but are long established in SQL Server and other commercial databases. I suggest that you look for a newsgroup that is more focussed on MySQL and ask about transactions and transaction-logging. Ultimately it's your decision whether the additional cost of a commercial database is justifiable.

--
Bernard Peek
bap_at_shrdlu.com

In search of cognoscenti