File System Data Model

From: Peter <junk_at_wendler.org>
Date: 18 Mar 2003 07:19:25 -0800

I am attempting to create a db schema which would allow me to replicate a file system, i.e., locations of files within folders and folders within other folders. If anyone has an elegant solution, or can point me to a whitepaper on the subject, I would be very grateful.

One of the areas with which I am having some difficulty is the creation of a complete path for a file which includes all of its parent folders back to the root share point or drive letter. Since there are n number of folders between the root and the file, it would seem that some kind of recursion would be needed to assemble the path. An alternative would be to de-normalize the data by maintaining a many-to-many relatoinship between each file or folder and all of its parents. This obviously creates some problems maintaining integrity, as after any folder is moved, all of its children and children's children must be updated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Peter Received on Tue Mar 18 2003 - 09:19:25 CST