Home -> Community -> Usenet -> comp.databases.theory -> Re: Extending my question. Was: The relational model and relational algebra - why did SQL become the industry standard?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:31:03 -0500

"Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.ua.ac.be> wrote in message news:3e6ef1b4.0_at_news.ruca.ua.ac.be...
> Bob Badour wrote:
> >
> > [... the usual explanation for why abstraction in a programming or query
> > language is a good thing ... ]
> >
> >Jan is just being contrary to suit his emotional needs.
>
> Absolutely. I get highly upset if I see all the sloppy reasoning, sweeping
> generalizations and unwarranted assumptions in an area that I happen to
love
> and know a thing or two about. I don't blame Lauri for making highly
> debatable claims such as that optimizing GOTO code is harder and compilers
> for GOTO languages are necessarily bigger and buggier, because he does not
> claim to be an expert. But Chris Date does, and by including it in an
> article of his he gives it some authority and might mislead some people
into
> believing that these claims are actually well-founded. If I would have
> included such a quote in an article of mine, it would have been torn to
> threads by the reviewers.

It seems to me that Chris Date claims to be an expert in database management systems and not in physical compiler optimization. If you want to "tear him to threads" for including Lauri's quote in an article, you are welcome to. I think it might be more productive to address the criticism where Chris might actually see it though. Received on Wed Mar 12 2003 - 10:31:03 CST