Re: many to many relationship

From: Alan <>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 16:30:40 -0500

Enrollment is not hidden in an ERD (which is a conceptual model) - it shows as a diamond with M:N cardinality. Can't draw it here, but in text:

|STUDENT|----- n: <enrolled> m: -----|CLASS|

If the above represents the entire model, then mapping rules happen to break this up into three relations (tables).

STUDENT{student_id PK, etc...}
ENROLLED_IN{student_id PK, class_id PK}
CLASS{class_id PK, etc...}

Regarding ERD vs. ORM, UML, etc., Use the right tool for the job at hand. Or, better yet, just enhance the ERD with your own notation. Then sell it to a software company and make a profit!