From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:17:13 -0000

"Lauri Pietarinen" <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com> wrote in message news:3E649C97.9080901_at_atbusiness.com...

> Paul Vernon wrote:
>
> >FYI. DB2 does do some optimisation (I.e. does not join to S), but does
> not go
>
> >the whole hog in it's rewritten SQL (see below)
> >However it does set it's 'Early Out Flag' in the access plan on the join
> >between P and SP, which would AKAIK have the same effect as the EXISTS
check
> >in the 'more fully' optimised SQL suggest above.
> >

> I agree. I think that "early out" flag means that it will stop as soon
> as it has found
> one qualifying SP-row, so in essence it equates to the EXISTS-version.
>
> Also the missing SORT implies that it does not have to eliminate duplicates.
>
> But why does it do a HASH-join?

Pass, but it's interesting to note that given the EXISTS form of the query, DB2 optimises it to the same query as before.

Original Statement:

SELECT P#, PNAME
FROM P
WHERE EXISTS
   (SELECT *
   FROM SP

   WHERE P.P# = SP.P#) Optimized Statement:

SELECT DISTINCT Q2.P# AS "P#", Q2.PNAME AS "PNAME" FROM DB2.SP AS Q1, DB2.P AS Q2
WHERE (Q2.P# = Q1.P#) Access Plan:
        Total Cost:             25.338
        Query Degree:           1

                Rows
               RETURN
               (   1)
                Cost
                 I/O

                 88
               HSJOIN
               (   2)
               25.338
                  1
           /------+-----\
        88                137
      TBSCAN            IXSCAN
      (   3)            (   4)
      25.1328          0.182339
         1                 0
        88                137
  TABLE: DB2        INDEX: SYSIBM
 P                 SQL0303031750371

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Tue Mar 04 2003 - 14:17:13 CET

Original text of this message