Re: Extending my question. Was: The relational model and relationalalgebra - why did SQL become the industry standard?

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:09:12 -0000

"Lauri Pietarinen" <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com> wrote in message news:3E5A7A33.1000808_at_atbusiness.com...
> >SELECT *
> >FROM (
> > SELECT EMPNO, SALARY
> > , rank() over(order by SALARY desc) as rank
> > , dense_rank() over(order by SALARY desc) as dense_rank
> > , row_number() over(order by SALARY desc, EMPNO) as rn
> > FROM employee) as s
> >WHERE RANK <= 10"
> >
> OK, thanks! A bit cumbersome, but it does the job.
>
> In what DB2-version was this introduced?

It came in with the 'OLAP' SQL functions - stuff like GROUPING SETS, ROLL UP etc. It's been there a while, I think since V6 on Unix/Windows in fact, although V7 might have expanded on the functionality. I don't recall.

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Tue Feb 25 2003 - 14:09:12 CET

Original text of this message