Re: Short Circuit Evaluation + Runtime errors.

From: Steve Kass <skass_at_drew.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:37:41 -0500

Lee,

  While the wording suggests it, I don't think SQL-92 mandates an error for a subquery that does not need to be evaluated. Elsewhere in the standard is the following statement:

If the result of an expression or search condition can be determined  without completely evaluating all parts of the expression or search condition, then the parts of the expression or search condition  whose evaluation is not necessary are called the inessential parts. If the Access Rules pertaining to inessential parts are not satisfied, then the syntax error or access rule violation exception condition is raised regardless of whether or not the inessential parts are actually evaluated. If evaluation of the inessential parts would cause an exception condition to be raised, then it is implementation-dependent whether or not that exception condition is raised.

The exception in your example results only results if an "inessential part" is evaluated, and the last sentence here indicates that the exception condition may or may not be raised, according to the implementation. In other words, and consistent with the degree to which SQL statements simply describe results without mandating procedure, the standard is silent about whether inessential parts are evaluated, and whether they are or not, whether exceptions are raised if those parts would generate an exception condition if evaluated.

Steve Kass
Drew University