Re: The relational model and relational algebra - why did SQL become the industry standard?

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler <>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 22:29:48 GMT

"David Cressey" <> writes:
> My recollection was that is was to compete with IBM. DB2 used SQL,
> and it was easier to sell Rdb if the people who already knew SQL
> didn't have to learn something else. This is the way most "de
> facto" standards come into being.

there was significant resistance from STL to system/r. some of the arguments were hierarchical vis-a-vis relational .... but probably as vociferous was arguments regarding physical pointers vis-a-vis indexes (i.e. that the indexes doubled the physical space).

so the technical transfer went from sjr to endicott ... aka from system/r to sql/ds (i was responsible for some from sjr to end). it was later that there was technology transfer from endicott back to STL ... aka sql/ds to db2. one of the people in the following meeting handled much of the endicott->stl transfer:

general reference:

multics first commercial rdbms:

teradata, ingres, relational tech, britton-lee, sybase, m'soft

shoot-out at the ok corral

.... note: quibble in the shoot-out tail mentioned above with regard to compare-and-swap instruction and locking. compare-and-swap instruction was the work of person in cambridge science center who's initials are CAS ... and the choice of the instruction mnemonic ... so then needed to come up with inustruction name that matched his initials.

misc. qbe SQL wildcard origins? Pismronunciation

vs/query (qmf)

random past posts rf: system/r: OCSP and LDAP Computer of the century Multics dual-page-size scheme How did Oracle get started? [OT] FS - IBM Future System IBM was/is: Imitation... IBM OS Timeline? index searching Crazy idea: has it been done? SQL wildcard origins? Amiga Rexx Amiga Rexx Amiga Rexx Pipelining in the past disk write caching (was: ibm icecube -- return of Hercules and System/390 - do we need it? Avoiding JCL Space Abends Faster seeks (was Re: Do any architectures use instruction VR vs. Portable Computing XML, AI, Cyc, psych, and literature Collating on the S/360-2540 card reader?

topic drift re compare and swap: S/360 addressing SMP, Spin Locks and Serialized Access Why Mainframes? ** Old Vintage Operating Systems ** S/360 operating systems geneaology FIne-grained locking S/360 history Non-blocking synch Test and Set: Which architectures have indivisible instructions? 360/370 instruction cycle time John Mashey's greatest hits Test and Set (TS) vs Compare and Swap (CS) Test and Set (TS) vs Compare and Swap (CS) Minimalist design (was Re: Parity - why even or odd) Minimalist design (was Re: Parity - why even or odd) SMP idea for the future Programming in School (was: Re: Common uses...) Hardware glitches, designed in and otherwise Future architecture [was Re: Future micro-architecture: ] Future architecture Future architecture [was Re: Future micro-architecture: ] Atomic operations redux HONE The problem with installable operating systems AMP  vs  SMP Card Columns

Anne & Lynn Wheeler |
Internet trivia 20th anv