From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:45:21 -0800

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:RHY2a.1418$0T3.169406528_at_mantis.golden.net...
> I wonder why someone would request:
>
> select SUM(SAL) from (
> select SAL from emp
> )
>
> when one wants the sum of all salaries.

<user's logic>
I want the sum of all salaries. There are a lot of confusing columns in the Emp view, but I think that all the columns other than Sal are not important for the question I'm asking. Therefore, let's project them away. Now I'm adding up all the salaries. Why the hell am I short of $100K? </user's logic> Received on Fri Feb 14 2003 - 03:45:21 CET

Original text of this message