Home -> Community -> Usenet -> comp.databases.theory -> Re: Extending my question. Was: The relational model and relationalalgebra - why did SQL become the industry standard?

Re: Extending my question. Was: The relational model and relationalalgebra - why did SQL become the industry standard?

From: Lauri Pietarinen <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:45:04 +0200

>In short, logic and set theory together are only a tiny part of mathematics.
>Don't evangelize them.

Well, not being a mathematician,
but having studied some mathematics I was and still am under the impression that all modern mathematics is based on set theory which is equivalent with logic.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia
(http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_mathematics)

<quote>

The current dominant mathematical paradigm is based on axiomatic set theory and formal logic. Virtually all mathematical theorems today can be formulated as theorems <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theorem> of set theory. The truth of a mathematical statement, in this view, is then nothing but the claim that the statement can be derived from the axioms of set theory using the rules of formal logic.

<quote/> Received on Thu Feb 13 2003 - 16:45:04 CST