Help with our Search Engine

From: Javiermontebruno <javiermontebruno_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Feb 2003 09:40:13 -0600

We've built a search engine (Platform = ASP .NET/SQL server 2000) that is composed with the following characteristics:

-An spider that extracts all text found on 50,000 websites.

-A parser that that extracted different pieces (Tags) of information
into Database.

-We are using SQL server full-text to index the data and then to
perform the searches.

-After the search is perform we have a ranking to display the website.
The ranking is performed basically according to where the string was found, for example if the string was found in the title it has a higher point than if it was found in the body of the page.

The Engine outputs results ok, the problem is that it is slow. (It takes from 5 to 60 seconds in a server with 1,2 Gigas of CPU)

I don't know if someone know a system that would work better than SQL server full-text search and that would enable our engine to ouput results faster.

We are looking for any kind of advice. We are willing to pay also.

Thanks Received on Sat Feb 08 2003 - 16:40:13 CET

Original text of this message