Re: Has this been done before or have I found something new

From: Benjamin Johnston <superhero_at_benjaminjohnston.com.au>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 13:03:58 +1000

When you have a user interface that is used for querying in a specific domain, it is a reasonably obvious and straightforward step to eliminate any attributes and values that are not present or do not restrict the search space effectively.

A similar kind of idea appears in machine learning algorithms such as ID3. Those attributes that have the greatest power of differentiation are used first, and if after selecting some attributes, the remaining attributes that are useless are disregarded.

In fact, what you describe is very much like identifying a member using a decision tree (generated by algorithms such as ID3).

The word "algorithm" probably isn't appropriate for what you seem to be describing. It sounds more like an approach to a user interface design. You can probably find something that matches your description exactly, if you look into some expert systems, but I can't name one off the top of my head... maybe somebody else here could.

-Benjamin Johnston