Shipping Table / Allocation / Backorder Problem

From: iforsyth <dontspammenow_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Jan 2003 16:20:51 -0800

I'm working on a retail database. I noticed that a lot of retailers are now charging freight based on an order total, e.g. if your order total is between x and y, you are charged z for freight.

I can see keeping the shipping and handling charge at the order level, but what becomes complicated is when you start allocating the order detail line items. If you have an order with two items, one is in stock and the other is backordered, what do you charge and, better yet, how do you calculate freight if you wish to allocate and ship the in stock item prior to the backordered item arriving in your warehouse? Do you keep a freight field on the order detail level as well and perform some calculation to figure what portion of the freight applies to each line item? What is that calculation? Received on Wed Jan 22 2003 - 01:20:51 CET

Original text of this message