Re: tricky database design

From: Daniel Talsky <danieltalsky_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 Jan 2003 14:06:29 -0800

> Will headings or copy appear on more than one page?
> - Is this what the order table is about, what goes where?

I am not intending that headings or copy will appear on more than one page, they only need a one page to many headings/copy relationship.

> Can a piece of copy have more than one heading?
> Do headings ever exist without a piece of copy?
> - You need to relate copy and heading somehow, if they don't really belong
> as columns in the same table. Are they separate so you can put headings on
> a front page, and over the copy on a detail page?

In a way, they are not really related. It's true that in this simplified example, headings and copy are really the same thing, but I want this tool to work for people with basically a sub-MSWord level of computer usage. I don't want people to have to think about formatting. It would be set up for them in advance, and they would just be able to change, add, and re-order the content on thier sites. My answer to Mr. Kaas should give a little more detail on what I'm talking about.

> Isn't a heading really copy that is usually very terse?
> - If you agree than heading is a property not an object, a column not a
> table.

It seems like they could just be on the same table. But I want them to be basically modules...for instance I'd also like to have images, horizontal rules, charts...that the user could move up and down on the page. So think of them as modules. I just used "headings" and "copy" to simplify it as much as possible.

Thanks again for your help. Received on Wed Jan 08 2003 - 23:06:29 CET

Original text of this message