Re: Designing a database that supports versioning of its data?

From: abombss <abombss_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 00:46:11 GMT

"Tim X" <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com> wrote in message news:87adiokxqv.fsf_at_tiger.rapttech.com.au...
> I guess I'd be tempted to put a start date and end date in the
> connection and possibly node entities. This information in the
> connection entity should allow you to collect all connections which
> were valid before, after or during a particular date - obviously for
> current connections, you could just have a null in the end date
> field. Putting start/end dates in the node field could be useful for
> additional data verification (e.g. you cannot connect to a node which
> has a later start date than the connection entity date). and to ensure
> all nodes are represented at a particular point in time (e.g. noeds
> which at some point become isolated).

I like the solution!

I have used a strategy similar to this to track employee work groups, teams, and sales ids which change very often in our organization. It has been a marvelous solution, because we are able to pinpoint activity within our organization accross many different groups at any given time. It allows us to measure and analyze the constantly changing groups as well as the individuals over any given period of time.

It is a little bit of a maintenance headache depending on what kind of clients you have, make sure you have some good constraints in place to ensure the integirity of your data.

Cheers,

Adam Received on Wed Jan 01 2003 - 01:46:11 CET

Original text of this message