Re: Comparison databases

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:42:13 +0000

In message <39498b46.0212170036.28d17757_at_posting.google.com>, Nisse <t.ternstrom_at_swipnet.se> writes
>Can anyone tell me whats the difference between using ODBC,mdb,db and
>dbf files.
>If i do an application i C++ i can use all of them. And in Access i
>can export data in any format too.
>So which format should i use and why.

You would probably get more useful replies if you posted the question in a newsgroup that was more focussed on MS Access.

ODBC is generally used to connect a client system to a server database, often a database shared by a large number of users.

The .MDB file is a proprietary Access format that includes forms, reports and programs in addition to the data. It's generally used for single-user systems.

The .DB extension is one that I usually associate with dBase programs. It's an old and widely understood format, very useful for exchanging data between systems. It is very limited though. In most situations where I would once have used .DB files I would now use XML.

--
Bernard Peek
bap_at_shrdlu.com

In search of cognoscenti