Re: What should be the Database Design in this case?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 00:43:21 -0500

"--CELKO--" <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com> wrote in message news:c0d87ec0.0212072011.69f5b94b_at_posting.google.com...
> It is considered very rude to post accross mulitple newsgroups. In
> the SQL newsgroups, it is rude to fail to post DDL.

Then don't cross-post your reply. Often, it is equally or more rude to publicly tell someone they are being rude. Not one of the newsgroups above has .sql in its name.

>>> I hope the above database schema is clear and also properly
normalized. <<

>Neither.

Well, that was helpful.

> >> Now I want to store Subject wise Maximum Marks for each course. <<
>
> NO!! You want to query the data and find them. We do not store
> calculated values in a relational database. Put it in a VIEW, if you
> re-use the results a lot.

Joe, I respectfully disagree. The relational model says nothing about how, where or how often one stores anything. Storage is physical. Even creating an index generally increases redundant storage.

Whether one creates a view or a snapshot, the logical representation has exactly the same redundancy.

> If this posting is an attempt to get other people to do your homework
> for you at a University, we need to contact your school and have you
> dismissed for violation of the academic honor code.

You presume much. Received on Mon Dec 09 2002 - 06:43:21 CET

Original text of this message