Re: What is the use of a primary key?

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:39:28 GMT

> Seems odd that you'd have a quibble with this (and it's not
> just limited to Oracle). Since a primary key must be unique,
> how else would you want to enforce its uniqueness?

I can see how you would read that as a quibble... but I didn't really intend it as such.

One product, the old DEC Rdb (now Oracle Rdb) did NOT give you an index when you declared a primary key.
That brought me a little business in the nature of fixing somebody's database while they were in beta.

A case can be made for not giving the freebie index, but I'm neutral on the subject. Received on Tue Nov 26 2002 - 13:39:28 CET

Original text of this message