Need Help with the following

From: <amor5k_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Nov 2002 07:41:03 -0800

Hi

I am not quite sure about what to write for the following question, but I would appreciate any suggestions as this is the first time I have been doing databases.

Requirement
A large, but centralised, organisation (e.g. a government department, county council, or university) requires a database and related applications to manage records of their internal documents. The structure and content of the stored data will be based on the Dublin Core metadata standard. The organisation requires input, editing and retrieval facilities to be available to all staff, subject to access control constraints, via their existing intranet. Development will be carried out by the established programming team within the organisation. This team has recently switched to Java as their main programming language. This switch has gone quite smoothly, even though only one member of the team had any background in object oriented languages.
Creating this new system is seen as an opportunity both to develop in house Java skills and to upgrade or replace their current relational DBMS provision. However, as none of the team have any experience of using Java with databases, there is much uncertainty and confusion. For example, some believe that an object oriented database system will provide a better match with their new programming methods, whereas others feel that it would be better to stick with well-known relational technology.
The Task
You have been retained as a consultant to advise on appropriate ways of satisfying this requirement. Write a brief report (max 1500 words) for the manager of the programming team explaining how Java can be used to build database applications, and outlining the relative merits of object oriented and object relational DBMS in the context of this requirement.

could someone please give me some advice on the types of things to write about, in a java perspective and also I'm not quite sure where the Dublic Metadata fits in with the task

Thanks Received on Fri Nov 22 2002 - 16:41:03 CET

Original text of this message