Re: About the importance of normalization

From: Paul <pbrazier_at_cosmos-uk.co.uk>
Date: 15 Nov 2002 01:33:33 -0800

sicotom_at_eresmas.com (Juan Pardillos) wrote in message news:<6278687.0211141334.54fa07d8_at_posting.google.com>...
> On the other way, is there any way of automatizing the normalization
> theory in order to allow a program do the dirty work?.

Normalization depends on the semantics given to the data in the database.
The DBMS only knows about syntax.

It's up to the database users to know what "meaning" or "interpretation" is given to each table etc. Storing this information is outside the scope of the database.

So I guess in theory you could have two identical databases, one of which is normalised and the other which isn't, because a different real-world meaning is given to each.

Paul. Received on Fri Nov 15 2002 - 10:33:33 CET

Original text of this message