Re: About the importance of normalization

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.uia.ua.ac.be>
Date: 15 Nov 2002 00:55:30 +0100

Juan Pardillos wrote:

>after studying normalization, I'm a bit confused. I think that
>normalization is not really so important, as if you build your
>relational model in a good way, there is no need to consider
>normalization at all.

Yes, *if* you build it in a good way. But how do you know that you did? Well, you check if there is any normalization to do and if you are happy with the NF that you are in.

>On the other way, is there any way of automatizing the normalization
>theory in order to allow a program do the dirty work?.

Yes and no. The real difficulty lies in finding all the dependencies. After that it is only a matter of applying the correct algorithms.

  • Jan Hidders