Re: database design method

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.uia.ua.ac.be>
Date: 14 Nov 2002 18:42:55 +0100

Lauri Pietarinen wrote:
>> That is what I meant. I'm not saying that they should be possible. What I'm
>> wondering about is if there are very good reasons to forbid them.
>
>OK, I got it now, thanks. How high in priority are recursive definitions
>in your opinion?

Not very high. As you already know it can be simlulated if you really want them, and the theoretical problems I mentioned can be solved by moving some work to the application layer.

>> >Poor guys! They have done quite a lot in
>> >1,5 years! Don't be too harsh on them ;-)
>>
>> Oh, nothing but respect fo these guys.
>
>But you haven't even used Dataphor!
>Do you really take their word for it?? ;-)

No, but implementing a DBMS is one of the hardest things around. It's right up there with building games, compilers and operating systems. But perhaps the term DBMS doesn't apply to Dataphor since it doesn't really have its own storage engine. Or does it?

  • Jan Hidders