Re: which softeware can create database?

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:59:37 -0000

"Paul Vernon" <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm> wrote in message news:aqonq4$ph4$1_at_sp15at20.hursley.ibm.com...
> Date was a keynote at this year's VLDB.
>
> http://www.cs.ust.hk/vldb2002/program-info/keynotes.html#Keynote%202
>
> You can see his slides if you want
>
> http://www.cs.ust.hk/vldb2002/VLDB2002-proceedings/slides/S01P02slides.pdf

I don't think the presentation has anything new for those who know Date's work, except I guess the mention of 6NF (well, those three letters anyway :-). But it does do a very simple, in your face sell of ideas from the Third Manifesto. Almost a set of 'marketing' slides ;-).

I particularly like the 6 slide 'proof' of the claim that:

    Objects and a good model of inheritance are incompatible!

Whatever your views, it is worth a read.

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Mon Nov 11 2002 - 18:59:37 CET

Original text of this message