Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <lgcdutra_at_terra.com.br>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 10:34:31 +0100

Paul Vernon wrote:

> "Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra" wrote in message
>

>>> If so, how do you propose to 'make known to both system and other
>>>  users' such constraints?
>>
>> Still waiting for the second part of the article!

> You could look in the book.
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201824590/

        Yes, I could. It's at home, I do Usenet at work. Will try to remember at lunch time.

>> But seriously, the best approximation I know of are the domain,
>> column, relation and database constraints.

> Agreed. But I would also include the 'constraints' that are the
> relvar definitions themselves (well, the attribute name & type part
> of the definition - not the relvar name).

        The whole point is that the name is not meaningful to the system, and only meaningful to the user in a context, or if explained by documentation perhaps.

        About the type, it is just the domain and attribute constraints, QED.

> I.e. you cannot insert a proposition into a database if there is not
> a matching relvar to 'receive it (and,of course it does break any of
> the 'other' constraints mentioned)

        Obviously.

--
  _
/ \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra        +41 (21) 216 15 93