Re: relational tables and objects

From: Dm. Arapov <darapov_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 12:51:34 GMT

> > Sure. RTL checks if a relational operation is valid in compile-time. All
> > checks and schema computations are done in comile-time. In compile
> > time we calculate list of colums of result, sort order, check if
> > colums, on which relation is sorted, make a key.
>
> So dynamic queries are out of the question - or have to be resolved by
> compiling new code and then either dynamically loading the new code or
> running a new program? And you cannot write a generic query program
> that can be run against any tables in any database without either
> prior knowledge of what is in the database or access to a compiler?

You are right. All queries are to be pre-compiled and there is no way to write a query
without prior knowledge of what is in the database. This is a pay for compile-type checks,
type safety and efficient integration with C++ applications. RTL is not a replacement of
DBMS, it is just a lightweight C++ library letting use relational algebra in applications like
firewalls or games, for which traditional DBMS engines are too bulky. Received on Sun Nov 03 2002 - 13:51:34 CET

Original text of this message