Re: database design method

From: Ray DiMarcello <rayd_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:08:10 -0400

"David Cressey" <david_at_dcressey.com> wrote in message news:Z_bs9.196$0I3.17251_at_petpeeve.ziplink.net...

>Well, one difference is how tied to a relational

> implementation you are. A relational model is somewhat more bound to a
> relational physical implementation than an ER model is.

Why is this exactly? Maybe you are referring to how most (well a lot anyway) people don't really build a logical model first even though they might say they are. They just jump right in to building a schema with a target RDBMS in mind. If you don't do that and just build a data model with whatever tool you want, or just a sheet of paper and a pencil, then I submit that you are not bound to a physical implementation at all.

RD Received on Wed Oct 23 2002 - 04:08:10 CEST

Original text of this message