Re: bottom up model

From: Tobin Harris <comedyharris_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:34:53 +0100

"sophie" <prusso_at_dodo.com.au> wrote in message news:3da4c762$1_at_news.comindico.com.au...

> hi,
> i need to find some infomation on bottom up modeling and dbms software
> slection.  can anyone point me in the right direction

Bottom up modelling usually entails trawling through existing systems and documents to find potential data required for a system. This can then be normalised into an ER model. Top down is usually gathered by talking to domain experts and deriving a model from the concepts they explain. It's usually a good idea to do each, because you're 2 models should validate each other. Searching for "bottom up ER modelling" on google might get you some interesting resources.

As for selecing a dmbs, look up "dmbs comparison" on google. I can't guarantee that you'll find what you're looking for, but this may help. In general, selecting a dmbs (relational?) will depend on many factors unique to the project. These might include:

HTH Tobin Harris