Re: encription of data

From: K.Y. Fung <kyfung_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 Oct 2002 21:10:47 -0700

svanpoucke_at_hotmail.com (Sven Van Poucke) wrote in message news:<35fdca0e.0210081104.1632cf2c_at_posting.google.com>...
> We are developing a database for medical data. This application will
> be sold in the USA.We are a European company. We would like to use
> higher encription than 128 bits. Moreover, the data generated in the
> US will be transferred to Europe and back. Is encription more than 128
> bit allowed or should 128 bit be used following the US laws?

It looks like a legal question that you can check directly on the web site of the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) in the U.S. Department of Commerce

http://www.bxa.doc.gov/Encryption/Default.htm

I have read through a few pages of it but ... the legal terms just too difficult for me. You may need a lawyer to sit besides you while surfing this site, or you may raise your question directly to this department :-)

Good luck,
K.Y. Fung Received on Wed Oct 09 2002 - 06:10:47 CEST

Original text of this message