Re: Help with Methods ???

From: Undercover Elephant <9rowzn01i001_at_9rowzn01i001.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 20:04:59 +0000 (UTC)

"Malte Finsterwalder" <finsterwalder02_at_web.de> wrote in message news:3da1b504.808402_at_news.compuserve.de...
> On Sun, 6 Oct 2002 23:00:37 -0400, RooGi-heto wrote:
>
> >What is a good clear definition of a database method? and can custom
> >methods be created in a database?
>
> There are several types of databases:
>
> - relational databases
> - object-oriented databases
> - object-relational databases
>
> Relational databases don't allow methods, since you can't extend the
> type system.
> The object-relational databases support methods for custome types.
>
> As far as I know, which isn't probably much further than I could
> through you, active object-oriented databases support methods, while
> passive objekt-oriented databases do not.

Frank Manola did a very good report on OODBs many years ago:

Part 1: ftp://ftp.gte.com/pub/dom/reports/MANO94a.pt1.ps Part 2: ftp://ftp.gte.com/pub/dom/reports/MANO94a.pt2.ps

I seem to remember a matrix from Part 2, something like this:

          +---------------+-------------+
          | Object Server | Page Server |
+---------+---------------+-------------+
| Active  | Itasca        | GemStone    |
+---------+---------------+-------------+
| Passive | Versant       | ObjectStore |
+---------+---------------+-------------+

Here the idea of active was more to do with method execution on the server.

All the products support methods.

Just one interpretation.

> A definition of a method may be found in the SQL:1999-Standard for
> OR-DBMSs or the ODMG-Standard for OO-DBMSs. But it's just a guess.
>
> Greetings,
> Malte

HTH

--