Re: The Practical Benefits of the Relational Model

From: Costin Cozianu <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 08:28:18 -0700

> > Of course, this also implies : "adieux to FOL". It's been already
> > understood for decades that 1st order logic, 1st order functions
> >

> I think part of this got cut off. I'd like to invite you to finish it; it
> was quite a cliffhanger!
>

> Marshall
>
> PS. Love this thread!

Sorry for that. Herer were my thoughts

Of course, this also implies : "adieux to FOL". It's been already understood for decades that 1st order logic, 1st order functions are not adequate for a good structuring of code. If you are confined within 1st order functions you end up with a lot of redundancy in code. Object oriented programming, generic programming, functional programming all these are based on higher order functions and higher order types . You need to write programs that are not dependent on a particular type or a particuklar functions, but are parameterized by types and functions. Or you want to express the most generic types as a logical equation (any type that has a set of properties), for example this is how you define the type Field, and most other mathematical types. So that in the end you write only one program that deals with any Field, instead of writing different programs for Q, Z2, Z13,.. or any otherr particular field .

This why I presented Nathan the challenge: how do you define the type "Finite Field", within D4 or TTM' tutorial D for that matter ? Received on Sat Oct 05 2002 - 17:28:18 CEST

Original text of this message