Re: Storing query language in relations

From: Tibor Karaszi <tibor_not_pressed_ham_.karaszi_at_cornerstone.se>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 20:10:53 GMT

"Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Why DEFINTION_SCHEMA tables are necessary in the vendor's
> implementation? A vendor just need to implement INFORMATION_SCHEMA
> views upon their (proprietory) catalog. Then, a user just updates
> INFORMATION_SCHEMA views, which then triggers updates in the
> underlying catalog.

Yes, that is possible. But still I fail to see what is to gain. I doubt that updating the INFORMATION_SCHEMA view structure would be considered easier than DDL. Especially for the less experienced. But, that might be because one is used to read DDL instead of INS/UPD/DEL against the catalog...

--
Tibor Karaszi