attendance DB design

From: Ms.Farheen <nfarheen13_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Sep 2002 03:12:17 -0700

We need to design an attendance module for our college project. The basic requirement is to record daily student attendance and generate reports based on the dates selected (weekly, monthly). We plan on
  1. a table with student id as primary key and a column each for each day of the academic year.

however we don't think this is a good database design as the table would have 1 column for each day which might come close to 365 columns for 365 days.

could anyone please suggest a better alternative or is this approach practical.

Thanks

Farheen. Received on Sat Sep 21 2002 - 12:12:17 CEST

Original text of this message